Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Loin of Wild Boar with Bog Myrtle?????

Several Sundays ago our church held a Kirking of the Tartans Service. Everyone was requested to bring a Scottish dish for the covered dish luncheon after services. Since my DH is interested in his heritage and all things Scottish, I had purchased a Scottish cookbook a while back. I asked him to choose a recipe for the luncheon. His choice was "Loin of Wild Boar with Bog Myrtle". One look at the recipe told me I had some adjustments to make. Since I was out fresh of loins of wild boar, I sent him to the store for a large pork loin. Then I wondered, what on earth is bog myrtle? Upon closer inspection, I found in the recipe that rosemary could be substituted for bog myrtle. Lucky me! I have rosemary growing in my herb garden. I followed the recipe pretty closely and it turned out well. I've prepared it for company several times since and everyone seems to enjoy it. I thought I'd share it.


Ingredients:

  • a six lb. pork loin
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (I prefer sea salt)
  • 1 large onion coarsely cut
  • 2-3 carrots peeled and cut in large pieces
  • 4-6 stems of rosemary (3 or 4 inches each)
  • 2/3 cup dry vermouth
  • 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
  • flour and water (to thicken gravy)
  • seasoning to taste
What to do:
  • preheat oven to 425 degrees
  • coat a large roasting pan with oil spray
  • place onions carrots and rosemary in the pan
  • place loin in pan fat side up
  • rub salt on the loin
  • place in 425 degree oven (uncovered) and bake for 40 minutes
  • after 40 minutes at 425 degrees, reduce heat to 350 and continue to bake for 40 additional minutes
  • remove roast from pan and set aside to rest for 15-20 minutes
  • drain drippings from pan into sauce pan, stir in the vermouth and mustard
  • bring this to a boil
  • mix 1/12 cups cold water into 2 heaping tablespoons flour and add to sauce pan stirring constantly to make gravy
Slice loin to desired thickness and serve with rice or potatoes and gravy. Add a green vegetable and salad for a well balanced meal. Hope you'll like it!





3 comments:

Theresa said...

Ach, how I sometimes hunger for a loin of wild boar! And bog myrtle to boot! What a feast!

Jenny said...

This looks good, but I'm so glad I didn't try to eat it the other day. When are you going to learn to make haggis?

T Byro said...

I just bought a pound of dried bog myrtle on the internet. How much bog myrtle did the recipe call for as opposed to Rosemary?