Thursday, July 17, 2008

Grandfather Mtn. Highland Games - Finale

On Saturday morning the Mountain Marathon began in Boone, NC. It is listed as one of the most strenuous marathons in the nation. Our booth was only a few yards from the finish line, so we were able to see the runners just as they came across. I was most interested in documenting the first female to finish.
There were so many events that,even sitting right on the track, we could not possibly see them all. One thing I totally missed on Saturday was the Highland Dancing. I intended to get photos of the dancers on Sunday afternoon, but we had to leave early as I had a horrible headache. Various competitions took place throughout the day. There was a Children's Tent where they could go to participate in all sorts of fun activities. On Sunday there were kilted mile races for several age groups and shorter races for the younger children. Other children's events included wrestling and tugs-of-war.
This little kilted racer was not happy. The baby (beneath the table, out of the sun) had his mama's full attention.

Sunday morning Worship Service was held outside the main gate. Everyone brought folding chairs and blankets for sitting. The service included Kirkin' of the Tartans which is a blessing of the clans. Each clan sends a representative to carry their flag. Foster carried the Clan Wardlaw flag. It's easy to spot because of all the purple in it.
Almost immediately after Worship Service they called for the Parade of Tartans. Here we are in all our Scottish regalia, ready to march in the parade.
Our next Highland Games will be the Loch Hartwell Games in Hartwell, GA this October.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

That is all so cool! And you all look so good! Suzy really does look like you, doesn't she? And thanks for the coffee/stinkbug tip. I'll try it tonight. I don't drink coffee in the summer, so the stinkbugs will get it all!

Anonymous said...

It was great to read about your experience there! I know I was very interested in what all went on there after talking to Jenny! I know she was very excited to go. I wonder if I have a clan?

Jenny said...

We need to figure out if Kelly has a clan. There is a tent at the games and if you go there they'll help you find your clan. (Most people have one from ONE of their family surnames.)

Chat with Kathleen said...

What a interesting blog and affair. I take it that you must be Scottish to have a clan and that these Highland Games take place in the Southern states.

My husband is English/Irish and I am Portuguese.
BTW Love the family photo and your purple color is beautiful.