Friday, September 19, 2008

Nothing Can Go To Waste . . . .Not Even Crabapples!

These are the crabapples on the tree in our backyard. I had been complaining because they are too small to use to make jelly. That was before a friend gave me a bag of crabapples. I certainly couldn't let them go to waste!

Thank goodness for Jenny! She came over Saturday afternoon to help. Jenny decided it made more sense to sit than to stand all afternoon. I usually don't sit, but I must admit it was a good idea. We sat to pick through and remove the blossom ends from the crabapples.

Then we washed, and washed, and washed before boiling the crabapples and squeezing the juice out.

We ended up with 25 half pint jars of tart-sweet jelly.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

How SMART you are to do this!! The jelly looks sooo good!!! Don't think I have EVER had crabapple jelly before!!!

Vicky said...

You are making me miss my days when I lived in Ohio. We had a crabapple tree. I can remember eating them straight from the tree. You are right about the tartness. :)

Chat with Kathleen said...

What a terrific use of those crabapples. Your jelly looks like it will taste great on a toasted bagel. Never tasted tart sweet crab apple jelly.