Friday, February 8, 2008

Homemade Babyfood



Today I made up several batches of babyfood cubes to add to the collection in the freezer. Very simple to prepare and freeze . . . and makes feeding easier than opening commercially packaged babyfood. With the food cubes Suzi can enjoy variety without dealing with leftovers, and I can be sure there are no additives in her food. I sometimes add just a touch of cinnamon to her apples.

Today I worked with carrots, sweet potatoes and apples. I chose fresh fruit and vegetables, peeled (and cored, if necessary) and steamed until tender.






Fruit and vegetables were pureed to desired texture, adding a little of the water from the pot to get the desired consistency. Then spooned into ice trays and frozen until very solid before transferring cubes into freezer containers. I prefer box-style containers as they stack well in the freezer.


Labeling is a good idea. Pears and apples look much alike, as do carrots and sweet potatoes.
To serve: I place several cubes on a plate and microwave for a few seconds at the time until just the right temperature. Stir and double check temperature before serving.


















1 comment:

Theresa said...

Geez, you ARE Grandma of the year. I feed my grandchildren McDonald's nuggets and fries!!
Would it be okay to post your bread recipe on my website, giving full credit to you? I've made 8 loaves, and taken pictures. I love it!