Sunday, February 24, 2008

Paul's New Mugs




My son, Paul just took some new mugs out of the kiln. He sent me these photos taken with the camera on his cell phone. I might be just a bit prejudiced, but I think his mugs are great. He says that folks tell him they are masculine and I'd agree with that. These mugs hold between 12 and 14 ounces. I love the shapes of the mugs, the way he turns the lip out and the way the handle fits your hand. He's a coffee drinker and takes his mugs seriously.


He told me that he was experimenting with some new glazes when he did these, so each one is a different color.




Not only is he a potter, he also works in lots of other media. He has made all sorts of beautiful things. I'm partial to the Celtic designs he creates on glass.

His largest work so far is a one ton life-sized marble sculpture of a Galapagos land tortoise.
And this is just the tip of the iceberg . . . did I tell you that he's also a wood carver, a musician . . .
a wonderful cook . . . and a handsome devil to boot! I'll share more of his work later.

3 comments:

Vicky said...

Beautiful mugs. I Love hand crafted artwork.....yes, they look like art! :) Glad to see you blogging!

Theresa said...

I love the turtle - how cool! Is it in a park somewhere? Jesse throws, too, and I have a bunch of her stuff. I wish she was still doing it!

Jenny said...

Jordan and I were talking and we want two of Paul's mugs. You can fit an awful lot of coffee in them. Not to mention Irish Creme. How much is he selling them for, do you know?