Friday, February 22, 2008

What Do Retired People Do All Day?

Several friends have told me they missed my blogs. I'll try to do better. Retired people do sometimes have little things that keep them busy. One little thing that keeps me busy is my grandbaby. She and I have lots of very important business that must come before anything else. Every day we must READ. She has her favorite books and I have mine. The one book she must read every day is the Baby Einstein book with mirrors on every page. This photo of her with Grandpa reading is several months old. It took a while for her to realize that she was the image in the mirror. Now she likes to give herself sweet, sloppy kisses as we read each page.
Today she hung on to another Baby Einstein book. This one is a photo album I made for her as part of her Valentine. The five pages are made so that you can insert 4x6 photos and there is a wallet-sized space for her picture on the cover. She loves the handle . . . it's a teething ring. (The pages are made in so that a flap holds the picture in and the moisture out.)
As you can see, she and her things have taken over our living room and we wouldn't have it any other way!


I find time to read my favorite books in the afternoons and evenings when Suzi is at home with her parents. This week I'm reading Down Town by Ferrol Sams. I believe I have read every book Ferrol Sams has written. I started with Run With the Horsemen and I'm still reading everything he writes. He is a humorist and a great storyteller. All of his writings are based, sometimes loosely, on places and events that actually occurred. When I read When All the World Was Young, I could picture my father who served in the Medical Corp as one of his WWII characters and my uncle as another. My uncle wrote a letter home that so closely resembled what Ferrol Sams wrote that it made me wonder of they could have been shipped overseas together.

I'm going to read a few more pages before I turn in! I'lll try to do more blogging next week.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I used Kool-Aid. I mixed up a whole packet in a small cup and kept the eggs pushed down in it with a spoon. It was the only thing I knew for sure wouldn't be toxic! I did rinse them off really well so it wouldn't burn her mouth, but they still smell fruity and may have a hint of flavor on them. I wonder if real Easter egg dye would work. The vinegar smell would probably go away after they dried, right?