Saturday, January 17, 2009

Grandma's Little Helper

It has been so cold this week that Suzi, Grandpa and I have spent a lot of time at home. She and Grandpa have played with the barnyard, and her orange and purple "feet"ball and enjoyed watching her new "Winnie the Pooh" movie. She told me she wanted to "clean-up" and did a great job on the kitchen floor with the Swivel Sweeper. We baked oatmeal-raisin cookies using the recipe inside the lid of the Quaker Oatmeal box, adding mini M&Ms to part of the batch for Suzi to take home as a treat for her mama. Jenny enjoys her chocolate as much as Suzi loves enjoys cooking. She wears the little apron I made for her with Sesame Street characters on it - fusses when she needs to take it off.

Jenny told me the other day that while reading up on child development she had found that most children Suzi's age have a vocabulary of around 50 words. I started a list of the words Suzi uses and so far there are way over 100. She uses sentences like: "I don't like that!", "I've got it!" and "Get that out now." She'll tell you in a skinny minute exactly what she wants to eat - anything from French toast to waffles, pancakes, eggs, yogurt, apple, banana, chicken, donuts, "choc-lit" and, of course, macaroni and cheese. Her drink of choice is iced tea which (don't panic, Jenny) she only gets when we go out to eat. She has no trouble expressing her opinion . . . .wonder where she gets that?

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I think I may blog about her little phrases too... My favorite is "happy birthday!" (hap-DOO-day). We added some words to her vocab list, but I don't know if I will post the whole thing on my blog. It's long :-)

So you think she gets the ability to express her opinion from you?

Julie said...

She gets her ability to express her opinion from YOU! I can't help that you got it honestly as well.

We've added another slew of words to her list as well. I don't believe she will ever be accused of having poor verbal expression. Now if we can just teach her to write stories . . I'll get right on it!

Theresa said...

What? You two quiet little southern women? She must get it from some distant ancestor, because you two are just delicate, unopinionated delicate flowers!

Chat with Kathleen said...

Writing Suzi's words and phrases is a super idea,
BTW,what was her first word and first sentence?
She looks adorable as the little cook. with her cute apron, nice job, Julie:)