Thursday, January 17, 2008

Amish Country Bread on a Snowy Day



Last night we got a few inches of snow. Things have been pretty quiet at our house since Jenny couldn't get to work, leaving she and Suzi spending their snowy day at home. I decided to do a few of my favorite things today. I tried to get photos of the cardinals, but they weren't very cooperative, so here's a pic of the birdfeeder. Then I cooked a real breakfast for a change. . . French toast and bacon . . . we usually have cereal. After talking to my "susta" for about an hour, answered my email and decided to bake some bread.

The bread recipe I used was Amish Country Bread. This is one of the simplest bread recipes I've tried. The round loaves would be perfect to use when preparing bread for Communion. The recipe calls for a mixer with a dough hook, but I don't see why you couldn't just knead it by hand. The cut loaf in the picture looks a little flat because my DH was circling like a buzzard waiting for a slice of hot bread. I cut it for him just as it came out of the oven, which left it a little squished. If you'd like to have the recipe, let me know and I'll email it to you.

I think I'm going to dig into my conversational print fabrics to look for prints for Suzi's quilt. Yesterday I plopped her right in the middle of the bed in my sewing room with some fabric to see which ones she liked. She was drawn to the blues and primary colors. Of course, I was pulling for the lavenders and purples, but it's her quilt.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello Julie-
I am interested in your homemade bread recipe. Looks beautiful! I have been trying to make bread forever and it comes out heavy. Please email me. I would love to bake a nice loaf of bread from your recipe.
Sweet blog you have.
Thank you.
Meadow.lassie@yahoo.com