Monday, January 7, 2008

Time to Make Jerusalem Artichoke Relish

Last night Jeanie called to tell me she was sending me a treasure - a peck of Jerusalem artichokes! This morning when I got them there was a note enclosed -"Dug and washed for you with love by your susta." Jeanie isn't actually my sister, but my husband's. We couldn't be closer if we had been born and raised in the same family. She and I are both low country girls raised on farms and have so much in common.

Back to the artichokes . . .My maternal grandmother "Mammie" taught me how to make her famous Jerusalem artichoke relish (some folks might call it chow-chow) while I followed her around the kitchen. I was honored to be the one and only entrusted with her recipe. She sat me down one day when she was in her eighties and jotted down the list of ingredients for me on a used envelope. It started with "2 heads of cabbage the size of grapefruits" and progressed in like terms throughout. She spent a good hour going over the details of the procedure until she was sure I had it down. I still have that tattered envelope with Mammie's handwritten list on it.

I believe that the most important thing Mammie taught me was to share, so I shared a jar of my relish with Jeanie and her DH. He went wild over them. Not only did he eat them with greens and peas , she caught him in the refrigerator in the middle of the night eating them on Ritz crackers or just by the spoonful. I was thrilled and more than a little proud to have such an avid fan of my relish. I continued to share with them until Jeanie asked if I would teach her to make relish, which tickled me pink as an extra pair of hands at pickle making time is wonderful. We have made pickles together for years now and enjoy every minute we spend together in the kitchen. Mammie passed away in 1982 having shared with me her most secret recipe which was "not to leave the family." It hasn't left the family, Mammie - Jeanie's my susta.

My DD Jenny helping make relish last year.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I've got my money in my hot little hand, and I want to BUY some this year. Last year I ate most of it with Patty's brisket recipe. Well, the brisket itself, not the recipe. How about selling me at least 3 jars of it?