Thursday, January 10, 2008

Jerusalem Artichoke Relish - Day 1


These are Jerusalem artichokes. They don't look too appetizing in this state, but by tomorrow this time they will be a Southern delicacy. Just in case you're wondering, artichokes are tubers and cousins of sunflowers. My mother-in-law once old me that she put some of the flowers from her artichokes in a flower arrangement and received several compliments on them.





So early in the day and I've already found something I slipped up on. Two days ago I misquoted Jeanie's message to me. It should have read, "Dug and washed with love for my susta!" See the picture above. This collection of vegetables will make about 32 pints of artichoke relish. My job today is to scrape all those artichokes with a little knife before chopping them coarsely. I chop everything else in my Cuisinart food processor, but we like the crunchiness of little pieces of artichoke in our relish, so I'll use the new chef's knife my son Paul gave me to chop the artichokes. Hours from now when it's all chopped I'll sprinkle salt over it, cover it in ice cubes and let it sit until tomorrow. If someone comes to visit they'll ask what they smell. The combination of all those onion, cabbage and other veggies produces an aroma you won't soon forget. To me it's a trip down memory lane into Mammie's kitchen and I love it!

By the way, Suzi and I did make the newspaper's photo gallery. Here we are at the Military Heritage Plaza at CU waiting for John Edwards to arrive.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh my goodness, she's such a little politicial statement, and a cute one at that.
My mouth is watering just thinking about the relish!

Jenny said...

You did a good job on this post. I love the pictures! I can just smell the pickles now...