Monday, January 28, 2008

GNOG Brunch Southern Style

What's a GNOG?
It's what we call our Girls' Night Out Group.

My friend Theresa blogged about having brunch with the GNOGs at my house on Saturday, but forgot to include a picture of the crew. Just so you know we're real, here's proof that GNOGs do exist! The photo was taken in December 2007. If we all look a bit weary it's because one of our daughters had just gotten married and for the past few weeks each of us had been pitching in true GNOG style to support her mother. Between us we managed to do everything except perform the wedding ceremony. We planned, catered, directed, decorated, photographed and cleaned up after. It was beautiful. I think we may have even surprised ourselves.

On Saturday we met at my house at 11:30 for a Southern Style Brunch. I found the complete brunch menu in the Feb. 2008 Southern Living Magazine (beginning on p. 88). We enjoyed all five recipes plus a loaf of my homemade whole wheat bread. The magazine included: banana nut bread with citrus glaze, shrimp and grits, baked pears and Bloody Marys. I added Mimosas and tiny sausage and cheese balls to munch on while I put on the finishing touches. Patty brought over dessert - a decadent chocolate bundt cake with nuts and Godiva chocolate sauce. We topped that off with big two pots of coffee laced with Bailey's Irish Cream and Caramel Cream.

My friends began arriving at 11:30 and stayed until 4:20. My mama would say that's a sure sign that they had a good time.

These are a few of my favorite excerpts from The GRITS Guide to Life by Deborah Ford . . . .

Friends matter. They are sweeter than a Southern accent and more refreshing than iced tea on a sunny veranda . . . They are the jokes that make us laugh until we cry, and the music that stirs our hearts . . . Southern Girls know. . . men may come and go, but friends are forevah! They are there in good times and in bad; they comfort and celebrate; they mature and mourn with us in our own time. The greatest gift in life is to know the true value of a friend.

(food photos by Theresa)




2 comments:

Jenny said...

I can't believe you didn't save me any shrimp & grits!

Theresa said...

Poor Jenny - no food for her! I actually made the shrimp and grits last night for one of John's clients - he's from Sodexho, the food people! My, aren't I brave? They both loved it. Thanks Julie! And all I did for the wedding was show up and serve some punch. And EAT!